The Georgia Commission on Interpreters (Commission) is the policy-making body appointed by the Georgia Supreme Court to oversee the development of a statewide plan for the use of interpreters in Georgia courts during the presentation of civil or criminal matters. The Commission is composed of judges, lawyers, non-lawyers, legislators, court administrators, and interpreters.
The mission of the Commission on Interpreters is to provide interpreter licensing and regulatory and education services for Georgia courts so they can ensure the rights of non-English speaking persons.
Created in 2003 by Supreme Court order, the Commission is charged with regulating a statewide comprehensive court interpreter program, developing the criteria for the training and certification of interpreters, designating languages for which certification shall be required, and establishing standards of conduct for interpreters.
One of the responsibilities of the Commission is to provide access to competent professional interpreters to ensure understanding and participation for all non-English speaking persons involved in the court process. The Commission does this by providing an on-line registry of licensed interpreters which assists the public and members of the Bench and Bar in locating qualified court interpreters throughout the state. The Commission meets quarterly to consider pertinent issues to improve language access resources in Georgia’s courts.
Georgia Commission on Interpreters
Judicial Council/Administrative Office of the Courts
244 Washington Street, SW - Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30334
Main: (404) 463-3808
Fax: (404) 651-6449
Forms & Brochures
- Language Identification Guide
- Bench Card - Working with Limited English Proficient Persons and Foreign-Language Interpreters in the Courtroom
- Bench Card - Working with Deaf or Hard of Hearing Persons and Sign Language Interpreters in the Courtroom
- Brochure - Working with Foreign-Language Interpreters in the Courtroom
- Court Observation Form
- Family Violence Form
- Verification of Lawful Presence
- Complaint Form - (English), (Español), (Français), (Português)
- Instructions for Use of Non-licensed Interpreter
- Statewide Contract Information Sheet
- Report on Prevention of Sexual Harassment in the Judiciary
- Best Practices for Accessibility for Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing Persons